Sunday, August 28, 2011

Provenance


Image borrowed from Bing


Provenance


I accidentally painted a picture once
and it came out real nice.
It was a really beautiful painting
Not the picture above,
that's a good one too,
but mine was really nice.
Everybody I showed it to thought
it was something special.
So I took it to a gallery.
The gallery liked it,
said they would show it,
but they wanted more similar work.
But I only painted the one.
And, like I said, it was an accident.
I only wanted to paint one -
to see what it was like.
They told me to stay in contact
and when I got enough paintings,
we could talk about a show.
The other galleries I went to said the same.
I never painted any more.

I took it home and hung it in my living room.
A few years later, when I painted the living room,
I took it down and stored it in the basement.
I forgot about it.
Twenty years later I found it again
while throwing out a bunch of basement junk.
I still thought it was a real good picture,
but I didn't know what to do with it.
So, reluctantly, I tossed it in the trash can.
But when the garbage man came by,
he thought it was real nice
and brought it to my front door
and told me he found it in the trash
and it was such a good painting
that surely it was in the trash by mistake.
I told him, if he liked it,
he could have it.
But he didn't want it,
so I took it back inside.

Later, while I was out walking,
I saw a yard sale and got an idea.
I went home and got the painting
and went back to the yard sale
and pretended I found it there.
I asked the man how much they wanted for it.
He said he didn't know and asked his wife.
She didn't recognize it either
but said "A hundred dollars"
I talked them down to seventy five
and took it home again.

I am still not sure what to do with it.


Doug Palmer

aka: Lane Savant

Posted over on his site Feel Free to Laugh
Listed as #44 over on Magpie Tales 59

No comments:

Post a Comment